Graphical bugs (and fixes)

Daemonax
Primary Device: Samsung Galaxy Note II
Operating System: Android
ROM: Stock 4.1.1

Graphical bugs (and fixes)

Postby Daemonax » Fri Mar 29, 2013 1:06 pm

I want to start a thread here that will carefully document known bugs. If you make a submission here are the things that I would like to see.

1: Device (what phone, tablet, etc are you using? For example Samsung Galaxy Note II GT-N7100)

2: Firmware (what version and build are you using? For example Android 4.1.2 Stock build)

3: What version of FPSE are you using? (You can see this by going to Android's application manager and selecting FPSE)

4: Are you using software rendering or OpenGL (the experimental plugin is the one that is being worked on, so keep bug reports limited to that and not the old OpenGL plugin)

5: Do any of the video options fix the bug?

6: Screenshots that clearly show the bug!

Lastly, to try to keep things well organised don't make bug reports about several games in one report. Make an individual report for each game.

I hope that this thread will help in finding and fixing bugs. I would like to see software rendering made perfect first because it's works on the widest range of devices, and is closest to the original.

If you find a fix for a reported problem it might be best to send a message to the person who reported the problem and ask them to edit their original post and mention the fix. Would help to keep things organised.
Last edited by Daemonax on Sat Apr 06, 2013 9:51 am, edited 1 time in total.

Daemonax

Re: Graphical bugs (and fixes)

Postby Daemonax » Fri Mar 29, 2013 1:06 pm

Silent Hill

Samsung Galaxy Note II GT-N7100

Android 4.1.2 Stock

FPSE 11.88

Serious bugs appear using software rendering. These are fixed by using OpenGL though.

Opening scene using software rendering. It looks to me like previous frames aren't updating properly.

Using OpenGL fixes this issue, but it would be nice to have software rendering work properly.

Also with software rendering, a lot of textures are just black which completely ruins many scenes.

Again, OpenGL fixes this but it would be nice to have software rendering work properly.

Last bug is with OpenGL, it is fixed easily. If you get this then you haven't properly quit FPSE, try opening and quitting again or even force stopping the application.

Daemonax

Postby Daemonax » Fri Mar 29, 2013 1:07 pm

Tomb Raider

Android 4.1.2 Stock

FPSE 11.88

This game works fine in software mode, haven't noticed any issues.

With OpenGL the only issue is with loading screens, and it's not a big problem.

The screen should have a loading bar.

Here is the screenshot in software mode, which is fine.

In OpenGL if the save crystals aren't visible like this...

Then just enable Frame Texture and everything will be fine.

Using the new experimental OpenGL plugin there is a small problem with the health bar, you can see in the previous screenshot using the old OpenGL plugin that the problem isn't there.

Daemonax

Postby Daemonax » Fri Mar 29, 2013 1:08 pm

Tomb Raider 2

Android 4.1.2 Stock

FPSE 11.88

Using the new experimental OpenGL plugin the loading screens are a mess. I'm guessing that the bug here is closely related to the same bug that affects loading screens in the first Tomb Raider.

Using software rendering the loading screens look fine.

In Tomb Raider 2 using software rendering, when you are in Lara's house and jump in the pool her head and feet become transparent. A very quick check in the main game though and the bug doesn't seem to appear there, strange.

Using the experimental OpenGL plugin does fix this though, but you can see that the problem with the health bar from Tomb Raider is also here.

bluezeak
Guru
Primary Device: motorola bionic
Operating System: Android 2.3.4
ROM: stock

Postby bluezeak » Sun Mar 31, 2013 5:53 pm

Silent hill is one of the only games that requires the 'mask bit' fix for OpenGL. I wonder if fpse is emulating the mask bit properly.

Tomb raider & opengl texture setting. That's interesting because I thought textures was an enhancement not a fix/gfx enabler. Have yo used the other main settings - offscreen drawing and alpha Multipass? I'll make note of what you say about texture in my OpenGL documentation
FPSE OpenGL info - click here

Daemonax

Postby Daemonax » Mon Apr 01, 2013 5:17 am

bluezeak wrote:Have yo used the other main settings - offscreen drawing and alpha Multipass? I'll make note of what you say about texture in my OpenGL documentation

No I haven't. I'm not really sure what kind of graphical issue they're meant to address. I have tried enabling them when trying to find an option that fixes a certain graphical issue, but they didn't seem to do anything.

bluezeak
Guru
Primary Device: motorola bionic
Operating System: Android 2.3.4
ROM: stock

Postby bluezeak » Mon Apr 01, 2013 9:35 am

Have you looked at my thread about OpenGL, especially the link to the Google Doc?

OffScreen Drawing allows the psx gpu to create a large number of gfx effects. It is required by many games for gfx to display properly. Alpha Multipass has to to with rendering gfx that are semi-transparent, or sometimes for gfx that are layered on top of one another. They are the two primary 'enabling' options for OpenGL. Mask bit is the third, but it's rarely used / needed. There's a couple enhancing options, like the advanced blending and texture - they sometimes enable extra gfx but usually make existing gfx better (if they do anything). Most of the rest of he options are specific game fixes.
FPSE OpenGL info - click here

lavoisp
Fresh Fish
Primary Device: Xperia Play R800a
Operating System: Android 2.3.3
ROM: Stock 2.6.32

Re: Fpse for Android Discussion/Feedback

Postby lavoisp » Wed Apr 10, 2013 1:43 am

FPSE show error transparency menu in dragon warrior 7 using opengl-es 2.0 blitting.

Schtruck, Please fix it in the opengl-es 2.0 blitting plug in.

My phone -> xperia play r800a android 2.3.4

Thanks.
Attachments
OpenGL-ES%202%20blitting.JPG
Error in menu item dragon warrior 7
OpenGL-ES%202%20blitting.JPG (130.84 KiB) Viewed 14538 times

Return to “General Discussion”