Fpse for Android News

Magnumutz
Primary Device: Xperia Play
Operating System: Android
ROM: Stock

Re: Fpse for Android Discussion/Feedback

Postby Magnumutz » Mon Jan 16, 2012 8:13 pm

illuminerdi wrote:I keep getting crashes from FPSE while playing Granstream Saga, but not Android crashes - FPSE will crash with an error message about closing other applications to free up memory, etc.

It almost feels like there's a memory leak in either FPSE or the OpenGL plugin - I don't have enough tools to isolate it at the moment.

I used to have that error a couple of updates ago too... Don't know what caused it, i had LOADS of free RAM...

storm20200
Primary Device: Nexus 7, Galaxy S II (UK)
ROM: Stock JB, CyanogenMod 9.1

Postby storm20200 » Tue Jan 17, 2012 1:22 am

Phaedrus Nine wrote:@storm20200

Go into misc menu, load Opengl.
Quit, restart.
Misc menu again, load BIOS, then press hardware back key. This will unset the BIOS.
Probably restart again just to be sure.

It's a roundabout way of doing it, but it should work.

Thanks for the advice but I'm afraid all that does is make the select bios menu pop up constantly, everytime I try and press back it closes and instantly comes back. I've tried spamming the back button to beat it but it doesn't let it save having no Bios. Any other workarounds?
Ragnarok: i5 750 @ 3200MHz | Titan Fenrir | MSI P55-GD65 | 8GiB Vengence 1600MHz CAS 9 | 1GiB 6950 DirectCU II | 60GB Crucial M4 | Samsung F3 500GB | Samsung F3 1TB | Seasonic X-750 | X-Fi XtremeGamer | HAF932 | Win 7 Pro

Statick
Fresh Fish

Postby Statick » Tue Jan 17, 2012 3:04 am

Rotkaeqpchen wrote:@SCHTRUCK: IMPORTANT INFORMATION ON A SERIOUS ISSUE:

I found out that sound sync is hit or miss. sometimes the battle music in ff ix is perfectly synced but then after reloading fpse or restarting sync is gone and the music is again stuttering like hell. I don't know why this happens. Maybe SPUsync goes crazy or is not perfectly embedded...

I beg you to have a look at that, I'll of course test it then.

actually, the sync is working perfectly. FF7 music is MIDI based, instead of the usual method of simply playing back recorded music. this means it has a list of note-on and note-off instructions, which individually play the notes in time using pre-determined instruments. so each note you hear played is in fact working because of two instructions - the first one to make the note start (which also tells it what pitch to play it at, and which instrument to use), and another shortly afterwards to make the note stop. the advantage to this method is you can store several hours of high quality music in just a few MB, which means for PSX CDs which hold around 600mb, there is still around 5 hours of music found on disc 1 along with a huge amount of game and video data. to store the music using MP3s would have meant having more like 5 CDs instead of 3, and lots of swapping discs in the game.

unfortunately for this method to actually play the music perfectly, it has to run perfectly in time. any changes to the timing of the system playing the music means that the music itself will change timing as well. of course on a proper PSX or a decent PC emu, the system runs flawlessly at 50fps, and so the music is perfect. but on your handset, it doesn't run at 50fps all the time. some times the emu slows down a lot, and when it does the music slows down with it. think of it as being like one of those wind up clockwork music boxes, with the metal drum that rotates and it picks the notes as it turns - if the drum slows down, the music slows down too. it's the same with MIDI music in emulation, if the emu slows down then the music does too.

FF7 uses the big swooshy effect at the start of a battle to keep your eyes busy while it loads the battle scene from disc (much nicer than seeing "please wait - loading" every time), then the reward screen where you get your gil and AP keeps you busy while it loads back to game. doing this loading from the memory card makes the emu slow right down unfortunately, so you will always find the music goes slow at these points. there is absolutely nothing the emu can do to change this - the way the music is played is controlled by the FF7 software, so to make the music not slow down when the emu does would mean hacking FF7 somehow.

molitar
Enthusiast
Primary Device: Sprint SG3 (Adreno 225)
Operating System: Android 4.0.4
ROM: FreeGS3 v0.1.0

Postby molitar » Tue Jan 17, 2012 5:57 am

In Chrono Cross:

Ok I did some further testing on my EVO 3D and I discovered that if I used OpenGL plugin and muted audio with frameskip I am getting 52-60 fps. That is a big jump from 28fps. So it seems something to do with the OpenGL and Audio is causing the issue. During combat I got up to 77fps during the combat and faster at times. So the issue appears to be something to do with Audio. I'm up for further testing if you have something you wish me to try to figure out why this is.

Secondly turning on dual core or turning it off made absolutely no difference so that shows the plugin can not be using dual core at all.

Ok further testing also shows FPSE hates Chainfire! Uninstalled driver and now getting around 54 fps with sound now.

Phaedrus Nine
Global Moderator
Primary Device: HTC HD 2 (Leo)
Operating System: 6.5.X (5.2.23549)
ROM: Miri HD2 6.5.X V10

Postby Phaedrus Nine » Tue Jan 17, 2012 7:56 am

Disabling audio will always speed up an emulator. It takes a lot to process sound. As it would for OpenGL.
"Learn everything about something, and something about everything"
http://www.youtube.com/user/PhaedrusNine

Rotkaeqpchen
Enthusiast
Primary Device: Motorola Droid 3
ROM: Stock 2.3.4

Postby Rotkaeqpchen » Tue Jan 17, 2012 8:25 am

Statick wrote:actually, the sync is working perfectly...

I found something VERY VERY interesting, and I will report this to schtruck.

Acutally I tried it in 0.10.15 but will test it in later versions too. Easy to test:

Load Final Fantasy IX and load your latest Memorycard Savestate. Then head into a battle. Even bevore, you will notice that the menu sounds are messed up. In the battle you will notice the stuttering battle song.
Finish the battle. Then press the menu button, and press it again after, I don't know, let's say 3 seconds.Now head into another battle and you will hear, ... perfect music and sound effects.

Please report back!

EDIT: Ok, I now tried the latest version from the market. The result is not so good. The sound stays choppy and stuttery, this "fix" is not working.

I will report that to schtruck when he's back and I hope he'll find a solution for that.

Till then, I will stay with 0.10.15 and recommend that to everyone who is trying to play Final Fantasy IX without those annoying sound lags.

Don't get me wrong, I love schtruck and ldchen for their work. :)
Last edited by Rotkaeqpchen on Tue Jan 17, 2012 8:46 am, edited 1 time in total.

molitar
Enthusiast
Primary Device: Sprint SG3 (Adreno 225)
Operating System: Android 4.0.4
ROM: FreeGS3 v0.1.0

Postby molitar » Tue Jan 17, 2012 8:28 am

Wow! Anyone that has Chainfire 3D installed may want to do some testing. After I uninstalled it I am finally getting my Class 10 SD Card speed test before I barely made Class 6. So it appears that Chainfire 3D is not optimized for some systems and hurt the performance in more ways than one. Since removing the Chainfire 3D driver I can actually play the game with little slow down. So Chainfire 3D is the majority of the culprit.

Rgx521
Primary Device: S4 (Exynos 5)
ROM: Stock (rooted)

Postby Rgx521 » Tue Jan 17, 2012 2:32 pm

Yeah, well, I'm not running chainfire and I have crappy performance.
I don't think it's a matter of horsepower, although I obviously wouldn't mind a Tegra 3 board.
This is quite sad, really. Based on the posts before release, I was rather hyped about opengl support.
Having seen the brilliant (!!!) graphics produced by the plugin, I would simply love to get this going properly.

Kekec
Primary Device: Samsung Galaxy S
Operating System: Android 2.3.6
ROM: Darky Rom 10.4.2

Postby Kekec » Tue Jan 17, 2012 3:21 pm

molitar wrote:Wow! Anyone that has Chainfire 3D installed may want to do some testing. After I uninstalled it I am finally getting my Class 10 SD Card speed test before I barely made Class 6. So it appears that Chainfire 3D is not optimized for some systems and hurt the performance in more ways than one. Since removing the Chainfire 3D driver I can actually play the game with little slow down. So Chainfire 3D is the majority of the culprit.

I have chainfire and I will test this on my sgs!

Highfoot
Primary Device: Xperia Play

Postby Highfoot » Tue Jan 17, 2012 11:48 pm

Is there any way to emulate a mouse in Fpse? Many Android devices support mouse today so it shouldent be impossible to include? There is some games that did support the psx mouse.

Cheers!

Return to “News”