Chrono Cross

If you have a problem with a particular game, post it in here.
bluezeak
Guru
Primary Device: motorola bionic
Operating System: Android 2.3.4
ROM: stock

Re: Chrono Cross

Postby bluezeak » Mon Sep 03, 2012 1:17 pm

that usually means the iso you're using is a bad iso...

make sure you have the spusync enable in sound options (must restart fpse for it to take effect, double check it when you boot to verify).

the mali-400 gpu has a known issue with booting to opengl (it should be fixed now though) - make sure you're using software gfx mode (not opengl) if you have a mali-400 gpu.
FPSE OpenGL info - click here

wilk489
Primary Device: Samsung Galaxy S3(VZW)
Operating System: 4.0.4
ROM: CleanRom 2.1

Postby wilk489 » Tue Sep 04, 2012 12:55 am

Having an issue with Chrono Cross now and wondering if anyone else has experienced this or has a fix. Getting ready to sneak into Viper Manor and after a battle on the way up I got hit by one of the falling boulders. So I go into the menu to heal my party and just after I click status and select a character it starts to transition into the new screen, but the screen just stays black and the music keeps playing. This seems to be happening more frequently now and I've tried switching from OpenGL to Soft GPU and going from the ISO I made using a tutorial on here to a ROM I downloaded all with the same results.

Running 0.11.34 with a Verizon Galaxy S3.

jetb88
Primary Device: samsung galaxy s2
Operating System: android ICS

Postby jetb88 » Tue Sep 04, 2012 10:01 pm

If you read a few posts back, you would find that others are experiencing this too. I have yet to find a solution and no one has suggested one. At least you don't need the status menu for anything; if you need to heal just go to the elements menu.

bluezeak
Guru

Postby bluezeak » Wed Sep 05, 2012 12:33 pm

there's a couple of options you can check from the new opengl settings:
odd/even bit hack
disable coord check

not sure if they'll help though...
viewtopic.php?f=39&t=3615
(check bottom of main post, and check the link to the spreadsheet for the full list)

schtruck
Site Admin
Primary Device: HTC HD2
Operating System: WM 6.5.1 21869
ROM: 1.66

Postby schtruck » Sun Sep 09, 2012 8:38 am

i suggest to use Special Frame limiter in OpenGL mode and with FPse 0.11.39 that's perfect.

LukeFonFabre
Primary Device: LG Optimus 2X
Operating System: 2.2

Postby LukeFonFabre » Sun Sep 09, 2012 1:16 pm

why i only got fps 40 in openGL..
but got fps 60 in software mode..

molitar
Enthusiast
Primary Device: Sprint SG3 (Adreno 225)
Operating System: Android 4.0.4
ROM: FreeGS3 v0.1.0

Postby molitar » Mon Sep 10, 2012 1:08 am

The game got more unplayable with new version. The new OpenGL options did nothing to fix the original graphic bugs.. still have the messed up load screen and elements screen.. The only thing I noticed with new version is the game got more unplayable.. went from 45-55 fps to 32 fps.. now totally unplayable. I think I am about to give up on FPSE the kind of games like this one just will not play right at all on the emulators.. play perfectly fine on PC Emulator but Android Emulator I beginning to think it's impossible the more you try the worse it gets.

bluezeak
Guru

Postby bluezeak » Mon Sep 10, 2012 8:33 am

OpenGL evaluation for Chrono Cross:

according to molitar, the last update made the game run much slower, so these number may get fixed in a recent update - we'll see.

- I only tested the opening scene and the first random encounter.
- opening video (book) - 150-300fps
- opening scene - water - 72fps, drops to arounnd 50 fps.
- gamestart - elevator - 32fps
- running in 2nd room (first montere here) - 38 fps
- first fight
    - battle swirl 32fps
    - battle 35 fps
- status screen - game locks up (known issue)
- 1/3 of the time, game locks up on black screen before chooing your name screen

options
    - special framelimiter - schrtruck has said this is the better framelimiter to use.
    - frameskip - increases speed about 85% (30 fps goes up to about 50)
    - offscreen drawing - needed for proper screen transition, shows more effects. lost ~10-15% fps fps
    - advanced blending - untested, likely will cause slowdown
    - alpha multipass - no change noticed. not needed? may be needed if there are gfx with transparancies / shadows.
    - mask bit - lose 50% fps - this may be caused by current opengl implementation by schtruck. no noticable change.
    - 32-bits - not tested. likely will cause slowdown. I've not seen 32bits help.
    - odd/even hack bit - no noticable difference - may be needed to fix issue in other part of game?
    - disable coord check - no noticable difference - may be needed to fix issue in other part of game?
    - others - untested, probably can ignore

see my signature for link to opengl inforamtion, especially see the link in that post for the opengl spreadsheet.

bluezeak
Guru

Postby bluezeak » Mon Sep 10, 2012 8:33 am

LukeFonFabre wrote:why i only got fps 40 in openGL..
but got fps 60 in software mode..

opengl almost always (always?) give worse performance than software mode. see my opengl post (see my signature for link)

bluezeak
Guru

Postby bluezeak » Mon Sep 10, 2012 8:41 am

molitar wrote:The game got more unplayable with new version. The new OpenGL options did nothing to fix the original graphic bugs.. still have the messed up load screen and elements screen.. The only thing I noticed with new version is the game got more unplayable.. went from 45-55 fps to 32 fps.. now totally unplayable. I think I am about to give up on FPSE the kind of games like this one just will not play right at all on the emulators.. play perfectly fine on PC Emulator but Android Emulator I beginning to think it's impossible the more you try the worse it gets.

molitar, I understand your frustration, but you are being unfair.
- didCC play at 45-55 fps in 11.37 or 11.38, and now it's worse?
- using the exact same plugin, the game plays ok on your computer? if so, what setting do you use - send me a PM. There are a lot of ways to setup the texture options.
- how many updates has schtruck made to fpse in the last 2 weeks? what makes you think he won't keep working to make it better? in the last 3 updates how many times has he worked on making the opengl update better?
- final fantasy 7 and 9 work well, and 8 has known compatibility issues - ones that are broken on PC as well as android. "the kind of games like this one just don't play right" - not true. And, like you said, it used to work better right? so you know it can work better.

I think there is an incompatibility with this game and fpse though. the status screen is broken in both software and opengl, and in opengl 1/3 of the time the name screen freezes (the black scrren before the name screen).

Return to “Game-Specific Help”